Title: My Chosen One
Author: leo_draconis
Length: One-shot
Word Count: 20,420
Rating: NC-17
Characters/pairings: H/D
Author's Notes: M/M slash sex, oral, rimming, language, minimal violence. AU beyond HBP, really. The main things of consequence are the characters I kept alive, no Remus/Tonks, and no Bill/Fleur. Originally written for the February 2009 fest at [livejournal.com profile] do_me_veela.
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoat Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Summary: When the Ministry passes a new law taking away the rights and freedom of magical creatures, Harry fears for the safety of Draco Malfoy and takes him in. What happens next is a miracle of Fate.

Posted in 3 parts due to length.
Part 1 ~ Part 2


Harry and Draco spent the next few weeks getting to know each other better, in bed and out. Harry proudly presented his husband with his very own Potions lab, teasingly calling it a “wedding gift.” He wanted to take Draco somewhere to celebrate their unintentional marriage, but Hermione cautioned him that she felt things would soon come to a head in the case against Scheddford.


Sure enough, the day quickly came when the impeachment case was to be presented before the Wizengamot. It took some convincing, but Draco agreed to testify. Harry gripped his hand during the other testimonies, and when he was called to the stand Harry kissed him tenderly, causing a stir of whispers to sound through the courtroom.


He was very proud of Draco. The blond sat tall and told of his treatment in prison with an unwavering voice, even though Harry knew it still haunted him. When he was done, he returned to Harry’s side and they awaited the verdict. With a nearly unanimous vote from the Wizengamot, Scheddford was ousted from his position and Kingsley was appointed to act as temporary Minister until a formal election was held. As the proverbial icing on the cake, Kingsley made a short announcement about his intended plan as Minister, including immediate reexamination of the new laws on Magical creatures.


Harry wanted to take Draco out to celebrate, but first they stopped in the Magical Records department to register their bond. Since they had 90 days and Draco wasn’t eager to return to the Ministry, they had waited until they would already have to be there for the trial. It was a mercifully short process and soon they were on their way.


“Do you think we can have pasta? I’ve been dying for Italian.” Draco was cheerful as they made their way out onto the street.


Harry squeezed Draco’s hand. “We can have whatever you want.”


“I think – fuck!” Draco yelped as a beam of red light shot past his ear. Harry grabbed him and shielded him just as people ran around them shouting.


“We should just Apparate!” Harry yelled, and Draco nodded. Suddenly he was torn out of Harry’s embrace.


“Fucking piece of Death Eater shit,” Scheddford spat in his face, clutching Draco’s robes.


Everything happened at once. Harry leaped at the ex-Minister, enraged; Aurors aimed their wands at Scheddford; and Draco went bone white. Scheddford was pulled away from Draco forcefully and Harry caught his husband as he fell. Draco was paler than usual and his skin was clammy.


Scheddford laughed maniacally as the Aurors spelled magical cuffs on him, and the sound of metal hitting stone echoed in Harry’s ears as he finally noticed the knife Scheddford had been gripping. The blade was covered with crimson, and heads swiveled to Draco just as Harry gasped and saw the blood pouring from his husband’s stomach. Without another thought he Apparated them to St. Mungo’s.


“Help me!” he shouted when they appeared in the lobby of the hospital. “Please, help me, someone!”


A mediwizard rushed over and scooped Draco up, then laid him on the gurney a mediwitch levitated toward them. They took him into a nearby room and closed the door as Harry tried to follow.


“You’ll be better out here, sir.” An elderly mediwitch smiled kindly at him and pulled him toward the waiting area and into a chair. “They’ll need to concentrate on helping your friend.”


“He’s my husband,” Harry mumbled. He closed his eyes, but the image of Draco bleeding and cold was still firmly imprinted on his mind.


“Well, you’ll want them taking care of him with no distractions, then. Here.” She conjured a glass of water and pressed it into his hands. “Sip this, dear.”


“Harry!” Hermione ran up. “What happened? I heard there was a commotion, that Scheddford had gotten away from the Aurors and that Draco was hurt.”


“He stabbed him, ‘Mione,” Harry whispered. “So much blood, and Draco, oh gods…” He released a choked sob and Hermione knelt before him.


“They’ll fix him, Harry. You got him here right away, they’ll heal him.”


“I can’t lose him! We just found each other, we’re supposed to be bonded for life, I…” Tears made tracks down his cheeks and Hermione embraced him.


A short time later, the mediwizard who had taken Draco returned to speak with them. Harry tried not to notice the blood, Draco’s blood, on the man’s clothing.


“He’s going to be all right,” the man assured Harry. “He lost a lot of blood, and he’s in considerable pain. He’s receiving potions and should heal nicely. He’s asleep now, but we’re moving him to an inpatient room to monitor him for a few days and you can see him up there. Take the front lifts to the fourth floor and the desk will give you his room number.”


Harry nodded dumbly and allowed Hermione to pull him down the hallway. As soon as Draco was settled in his room, Harry hurried in to see him. “Draco?” he croaked. His mate looked so pale and small in the bed, still thin from the abuse and starvation during his imprisonment.


“He’s under a sleep stasis spell,” the mediwitch who had taken over his care explained. “He’s sleeping peacefully. He will wake in about eight hours, and by then his blood levels will hopefully be close to normal and we’ll just be concentrating on wound closure and pain management.”


Harry nodded and looked at Draco again. “Can I stay with him?”


“It would probably be better if you just came back tomorrow…” she began, but paused when she saw the crushed expression on Harry’s face.


“Please,” he begged. “If he wakes up in eight hours, it will be the middle of the night and he won’t know where he is. I need to be near him.”


“Mr. Potter…”


“You can’t force him to go.” Hermione stepped up. “They’re married. He has the right to stay.”


“Oh!” The mediwitch looked surprised and Harry shot Hermione a grateful look. “I didn’t realize. Of course you can stay.”


Harry nodded and pulled a chair up to the bed. He sat and took his husband’s hand. “Hermione, you don’t have to stay if you don’t want to. I’m sure you’re busy.”


“Do you want me to stay?”


“I…maybe for awhile?” He looked up at her sorrowfully and she chuckled.


“Then I’ll stay.”


oOoOoOoOo



Draco woke up after Hermione was gone and Harry had dozed off. “Uhhh,” he groaned.


Harry’s head snapped up. “Draco! Are you feeling all right? Do you hurt?”


“Wha’ happ’ned?” he mumbled.


“You were hurt, but you’re going to be fine. I should get the mediwitch.”


Before he could even call, the mediwitch came in. “Mr. Malfoy, how are you feeling?”


“Hurts…”


“I imagine. I have a nice pain potion for you, double strength to help ease the initial pain. After this we’ll keep you on scheduled doses of the potion and reduce it slowly until you’re healed.”


“How long will he be here?” Harry asked.


“Several days, I imagine. We will need to monitor him to be sure his blood volume returns to normal and that there are no signs of infection, and he’ll need to be able to get up and around. His pain will need to be controlled by regular strength pain medication before we discharge him as well.” The nurse cast a few diagnostic spells on Draco after he drank the potion and then exited the room.


“Scheddford…” Draco tried, then grimaced.


“Don’t talk if it hurts. They got him, and he’s locked up. Hermione says they are moving him to Azkaban after his sentencing tomorrow. There’s no way he’ll get off now. You just sleep,” he added when he saw Draco’s eyelids drooping. “I’ll be here when you wake up.”


“Love…you…”


“I love you, Draco.” Harry leaned over and kissed his forehead gently.


Draco slept fitfully, and continued to take pain potions when he woke. Instead of getting better, though, he remained pale and had frequent fevers. His diagnostics showed no other signs of infection, so the Healers were puzzled.


“Harry?” Draco croaked two afternoons later.


“Yes, love?” Harry set aside the book he’d been reading while Draco slept.


“Why are we in the infirmary? Won’t Snape be angry that we’re missing Potions?”


Harry frowned. “Draco, we’re at St. Mungo’s.”


“Are you sure? I think I still need to finish my Charms essay, am I going to be able to get out of bed soon?”


“Draco, we’re not in Hogwarts anymore. We graduated awhile ago. You and I are bonded, and we’re in St. Mungo’s. Why are you so confused?” Harry stood and laid a hand on Draco’s forehead. “You’re feverish again.”


Draco began to cry wearily. “I don’t understand what’s happening! Why do I feel like this? I don’t…”


“Hold on, baby.” Harry touched the button to summon the mediwitch, and she appeared a few moments later. “Draco is very confused. He thinks we’re still in school, and he feels hot again.”


The mediwitch waved her wand and frowned as the air around Draco glowed bright red. “I just don’t understand why he keeps getting these fevers, and they just keep getting higher. I wonder if –“ She stopped and called out for assistance when Draco suddenly began to thrash and jerk around in bed.


“What’s happening?” Harry cried.


“He’s seizing,” the mediwitch called to him as Healers and mediwizards flooded the room. Harry backed against the wall and watched fearfully as they all tried to keep Draco from injuring himself until the fit ended.


“Is he okay?” Harry asked when Draco was still.


“We have to figure out how to bring these fevers down. Nothing is working.” One of the Healers pinched the bridge of his nose. “I just don’t know what else to try. His tests show a change in his blood but nothing we’ve encountered before, and no actual infection.”


Harry approached Draco’s bed again, and tears ran down his cheeks as he stared down at the sickly man. “Draco, you need to get well. I can’t lose you.”


“Harry?” Hermione stood in the doorway. “Is everything all right?”


Harry kissed Draco’s sleeping mouth and motioned Hermione into the hall. They sat in the waiting area and Harry put his head in his hands. “He’s getting worse, ‘Mione. They can’t figure out why he’s getting these fevers, and he’s delirious and having seizures and they can’t figure out how to fix him.”


“Oh, Harry…” Hermione rubbed his back gently.


“I just don’t know what to do.” Harry raised his head and frowned at the figure that had appeared in front of him. “Ron.”


His best friend sat down on his other side. “Hi, Harry. I’m sorry I didn’t come by sooner, but I didn’t know if you’d want to talk to me, and…well, I’m really sorry about Mal - Draco. Is he going to be all right? Remus said he wasn’t getting better yet.”


Harry sighed. “Yeah, Remus and Bill stopped by last night, right after Draco spiked another fever. They can’t figure it out.”


Hermione quietly excused herself, and Ron swallowed and looked at Harry. “I…you really love him, don’t you.” It was a statement rather than a question.


“Yes.”


“I’m sorry,” Ron said quietly. “I didn’t understand.” He took Harry’s hand and squeezed it.


Harry nodded, tears filling his eyes again, and the two sat quietly.


A mediwizard came to talk to Harry a few minutes later. “He’s resting, Mr. Potter. We gave him another pain potion, but he still has a fever and it’s not breaking. The Healers are working to find a solution. He’s still acting like he’s in pain so we’re going to give him another double strength draught.” He walked back toward Draco’s room.


Harry swallowed hard and shook his head. “I don’t get it,” he whispered. “What the fuck is happening to him?”


Ron frowned. “I feel like I’m thinking of something, but I don’t know what it is.”


Harry snorted. “Well, that was descriptive.”


“No, I mean…pain potion…he said…wait!” Ron jumped up. “Wait!” he yelled after the mediwizard. “Don’t give him that potion!”


“What are you doing, Ron? If he’s in pain –“


“No, listen! Stop!” Ron jogged after the mediwizard and grabbed his arm. “You can’t give him any more pain potion. I think that’s what is causing his fevers.”


“I’m sorry, sir, but I think we understand the effects of our potions quite well, and temperature fluctuation isn’t one of them.” The mediwizard gave Ron a haughty look before turning away.


“No, listen to me, damn you! Do you treat Veela often?”


“Not often, no. I don’t see what –“


“Where is Malfoy’s Healer? I want to speak to him.”


“I hardly think you have the right to –“


“Please, get him for us,” Harry interrupted. “Ron, what’s going on?”


The irritated mediwizard motioned to the Healer. “I would think that allowing us to help your friend might be of a higher priority that telling us how to do our jobs.”


“I am trying to help him. Sir!” he addressed the Healer. “Do you have experience treating Veela?”


“Not really, we don’t see many here. I’m sorry, but I really need to –“


“Will you people just listen to me?” Ron cried. “Veela can’t take traditional pain potions once they’ve come of age! They are toxic to Veela blood. Harry, Remus was asking Bill about Veela a few days ago, because of Fleur and all and you being bonded to Draco, and I remember Bill saying that Fleur had to order special pain potions without certain ingredients because she couldn’t take the regular kind. You guys have been giving Draco potions that are poisoning him!”


Harry gasped and the Healer frowned. “That would explain the changes in his blood screen…we couldn’t interpret the results to match anything in our references. What do we need to do?”


“I’ll go Floo Bill now. I bet he can get some pain potions from Fleur for Draco to use, and hopefully someone will know what to do to fix what’s been done.” Ron patted Harry’s arm and hurried off toward the Floo.


“Are you sure you don’t want us to give him the draughts, Mr. Potter? Your husband looks to be in pain.”


“Are you mad?” Harry cried, startling the Healer. “He just told us what’s wrong with Draco, and you want to continue doing it?”


“My apologies, but do we really know that’s the problem?”


“Do you have any other leads? I believe him, and I forbid you to give Draco any more potions. Of any kind, at least until we know what’s safe and what isn’t.”


The Healer nodded curtly and Harry returned to Draco’s side.


oOoOoOoOo



“Harry, I got it!” Ron rushed into the room waving a sheet of parchment. “We Floo called Fleur, and these are the potions he needs to counter the toxins. I hope it isn’t too late. There is also a list of standard potions that he shouldn’t take, but I don’t think they probably gave him most of these – fertility potions, things like that.”


Harry threw his arms around his friend. “Thank you so much, Ron.”


“You’re welcome. Let’s get this to the Healer.”


The staff administered the appropriate potions and Harry settled at Draco’s bedside to await any change. His fever had been fluctuating for days, but after the seizure it hadn’t broken at all. The blond was flushed and sweating and Harry tried to soothe his head with a cool cloth. Draco tossed and turned, moaning in his sleep but never gaining full consciousness.


Several hours later, Harry was staring despondently out the window. He wished he’d never talked Draco into testifying. He knew it was important, but had he just left it alone his husband would be well and at home with him instead of fighting for his life.


“Harry?”


He spun around at the sound of the hoarse voice calling his name. “Draco!” He rushed to the bed and took a pale hand. “How are you feeling?”


“Hurts…” Draco grimaced and Harry bit his lip. Ron had said he’d bring the Veela pain potions as soon as Fleur got them to him, but in the meantime there was nothing Harry could do for Draco.


“I’m sorry, baby. We’re trying to get a new potion for you, one that’s safe.” As an afterthought, Harry laid the back of his hand on Draco’s forehead and nearly vibrated with excitement when he found it cool. “Oh, Draco, your fever’s broken! Thank Merlin.”


The Healer arrived soon after Draco woke to examine him, and said with much relief that the potions appeared to have counteracted the toxins that had been poisoning him. He advised Draco to engage in as little movement as possible until they had the pain draughts that were safe for him to ingest.


Harry sat at his bedside and stroked his hair. “Merlin, Draco, I’ve been so worried.”


“Sorry…everything’s a bit hazy, I’m not sure what’s even happened.”


“Do you remember Scheddford’s trial?”


“Yes…I still remember him stabbing me afterward, it’s just that everything that’s happened here is foggy to me.”


“The pain potions were reacting badly to your Veelan blood. They didn’t know that, so they kept giving them to you and you were very ill. Ron made them stop.”


“Weasley helped me?”


“Yes. His brother dated a Veela once. He saved you, Draco.”


“Hmm.” Draco closed his eyes momentarily and his face twisted into a small grimace.


“Harry! Oh – Malfoy, you’re awake.” Ron handed Harry a small parcel. “The potions, with instructions.”


“Thank you, Ron. He’s in so much pain.” Harry rang for the Healer and hugged his friend.


“Yeah, you’re welcome. Fleur sends her best, and she says if you have any questions about your…stuff, or whatever…you can contact her.” Ron directed the last part of his statement to Draco gruffly.


“Fleur? Delacour, the Beauxbatons girl from fourth year?” Draco asked.


“Yes, she dated Ron’s brother Bill for awhile. She’s part Veela too.”


The Healer came in to inspect the potions. With his approval, Draco took one and fell asleep soon after, and Ron and Harry left the room quietly so he could rest.


Draco was able to leave after another week. His injury was healing nicely and his pain was minimal, and Harry was thrilled to take him home. He was afraid to push Draco into anything intimate, fearing he’d hurt his still recovering husband, even though he was aching to touch him and his cock was in a permanent state of hardness.


“Harry?”


“Hmm?” Harry glanced up from his book. They’d taken to reading together or playing chess in the evenings. He much preferred the reading, as he generally lost at chess – not as much due to his lack of skill as to his wandering thoughts, suggesting all the naughty things he could do to his lover with the chess pieces.


“Are you…do you regret what we did?”


Harry frowned and closed his book with a snap. “What do you mean?”


“I mean…the bonding. Do you regret it now that it’s been a few weeks?” Draco looked like he wanted to cry, and Harry immediately vacated his seat and knelt before his husband.


“Draco, no. I told you – I love you. I want to be with you. Why would you even ask such a thing?”


“I don’t know, it’s just…we’ve been home for several days now, and you don’t ever touch me. You barely even kiss me. I want to make love to you so badly, but I feel like you don’t want me anymore.”


“Are you kidding?” Harry exclaimed. He stood quickly and placed Draco’s hand on his erection, which had arrived the moment Draco had mentioned kissing and making love. “Merlin, Draco, I don’t think I’ll ever stop wanting you! This is all yours, baby.” He pressed his lover’s palm firmly against his hardness and nearly shuddered from the sensation. “I’m sorry I wasn’t clear, but I was just afraid of hurting you while you were still healing. Not to mention the fact that you nearly lost your life, and I thought it might be a bit disrespectful to jump you the moment you got home.”


“Disrespect me!” Draco cried, jumping up. “Fuck, Harry, my life has been so screwed up for so long. Things are finally improving, and I want to celebrate, starting right now. Take me upstairs and fuck me. Now.”


Harry shivered at the command. “Yes, sir!” He grabbed Draco’s hand and hauled him upstairs, where they celebrated long into the night.


oOoOoOoOo



The months passed quickly, and life only got better. Scheddford was sentenced to life in Azkaban, a term that would not have been so long if it weren’t for his attempt on Draco’s life. Kingsley Shacklebolt was officially voted into office, and his first order as Minister was to throw out the Magical Creatures law, with no opposition from the Wizengamot. The creatures that had been imprisoned awaiting execution were released and the contracts involving those under supervision were dissolved. Draco was free and his assets were unfrozen, but despite having the Manor back in his name he wanted to remain in their house. Harry assured him that he would have no problem living in Draco’s family home, but Draco told him simply that he never wanted to leave the place where they’d fallen in love.


A year after their accidental marriage, Harry and Draco celebrated their first anniversary with the bonding ceremony they’d never had. All of the Weasleys were in attendance, including Bill with Remus on his arm. Fleur Delacour was present as well. Since Draco’s hospital stay, the two part-Veelas had become pen friends of sorts, and Harry was extremely grateful Draco had someone to talk to about his heritage. Because of Fleur’s guidance and Harry’s support, Draco had regained much of the confidence he’d lost in his ordeal. A high point in his year had occurred a few months after his recovery, when Kingsley had asked him to take a job at the Ministry as a liaison for Magical Creatures. It turned out to be a great success; so many of the citizens that had been wronged by Scheddford’s law were angry at the Ministry, and with Draco’s help they found peace again.


“Harry?”


Harry jumped, having been lost in thought. “Hermione. Is it time?”


“Yes, just about. Are you ready?”


“Very. Why is it that we’ve been married for a year and I’m still nervous?”


Hermione closed the door and smoothed a slight wrinkle on Harry’s robes. “Probably because you two never had a real wedding. This will make it feel more official, I bet.”


“I guess.” Harry bit his lip and looked in the mirror.


“Harry.” Hermione laid a hand on his arm. “Are you having second thoughts about this relationship?”


“What? No!” Harry looked horrified. “Why would you even ask that?”


“Sorry, sorry. You just seem scared, that’s all.”


“It’s just…with Draco…well, he’s so much more like his old self these days. And that’s great!” he added quickly. “I mean it, it’s great. But I start to wonder if maybe he won’t…you know…”


“If he won’t want you now that he doesn’t have to depend on you?”


“Well…yeah.” Harry looked down.


“Harry, you’re his mate.”


“I know, and that almost makes it worse! I mean, what if he’s sorry now that it had to be me?”


“I don’t think it quite works that way, Harry, but if it makes you feel better, I just saw him before I came here to you, and he’s just as nervous as you are, if not more.”


“Really?” Harry asked hopefully, and Hermione laughed.


“Yes, really. Talking some nonsense about you maybe not wanting him, that he’s been too much like the Draco you used to hate lately. I assured him that you love him, and I’ll now do the same for you. He loves you, Harry. He wants to have this ceremony as much as you do. Remember why you both wanted to do this?”


“Yes, we wanted to share our love with everyone, show everyone our commitment to each other.”


“Exactly. And when you get out there, you’ll see him, and it will all be fine. So shall we?” Hermione offered her arm and Harry took it with a smile.


“Thanks, ‘Mione.”


She led him to the garden, where Draco was waiting for him in silver-trimmed white robes that matched his own. Hermione wished them luck, but neither man heard her as they were too absorbed in each other to notice.


“You look gorgeous,” Draco breathed, grasping Harry’s hands and pulling him close.


“You look absolutely breathtaking,” Harry replied huskily. “I can’t wait to marry you. Again.”


“I can’t wait to marry you the way I did the first time, again,” Draco said with a smirk. “As amazing as you look in those robes, I am positively salivating at the thought of getting them off of you.”


“Well, I suppose we should go inside, so that we can get married properly and then we can fuck like newlyweds.” Harry shot him a grin and started to turn toward the gates, but Draco tugged on the hand he was still holding.


“Harry, wait.” He smiled shyly at his husband. “I just wanted to tell you…I love you, so much.”


“I love you too, baby,” Harry said softly. “Always.”


They turned then, and walked toward their family and friends and the rest of their lives together.

From: [identity profile] thrnbrooke.livejournal.com


Oh that was wonderful!!! One day you simply must visit this story world again! I can't wait to read about any and all of their children!!!

From: [identity profile] utteramusement.livejournal.com


^^ This was just wonderful!

I loved the image of Harry positively glowing at Draco's first insults. Bill and Remus. The way Ron came to his senses in the end and saved the day!

But most of all I adored the way both boys kept getting insecure, not about their own feelings but of being good enough, it's just perfect for both of them since they are slightly broken but together they are just so much more solid!

“Disrespect me!” Draco cried ROLF! Loved this! I feel like screaming that at the next person I see, but I have a feeling it'll get me in trouble... Or get me lucky, depending on who I see! ;D
ext_136323: (Default)

From: [identity profile] leo-draconis.livejournal.com


Thank you very much! I had such a great time with this story, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

From: [identity profile] fantasyfruitbat.livejournal.com


Wonderful story!! All the angst they had to get through (and that evil Scheddford) made the lovely fluffy ending all the sweeter! :)
ext_136323: (Default)

From: [identity profile] leo-draconis.livejournal.com


Thanks so much! Fluff just seems sweeter when it's hard-earned.
ext_30096: (Default)

From: [identity profile] yanagi-wa.livejournal.com


Wonderful story. I felt so sorry for Draco and Remus [and all the others] I love the way it all worked out. Especially the way Ron came through for them. [Yay, Ron!]

From: [identity profile] charry-lover16.livejournal.com


That was good. I never like stories where Draco is a Veela, but enjoyed this one. Good job.

Twocanz
ext_136323: (Default)

From: [identity profile] leo-draconis.livejournal.com


Thank you! I'm glad you gave it a chance even if it wasn't your usual preference.

From: [identity profile] bonfoi.livejournal.com


Ahh, it's so wonderful to have good veela!fic again! Thank you for sharing this with us!

From: [identity profile] cleo-jay.livejournal.com


Awwww! Such a cute ending - I was worried when Draco got hurt but YAY - Ron to the rescue!!! *is still grinning like a loon* Great story, hon! :D
.

Profile

leo_draconis: (Default)
leo_draconis

Most Popular Tags

Powered by Dreamwidth Studios

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags